PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT and PLANNING
The number of new products coming into the market of western countries every year is overwhelming. The major part of these products is not new, but adaptations. It means that these products are not new, they are existing items to which a modification has been made. Only few products are really original or innovations. For instance a clock-television is an adaptation, but TV-set itself, the refrigerator - each was an innovation. A great number of innovations and adaptations are designed, produced and marketed by small businesses. Very often a new product is formed on the basis of the new business. Sometimes there is a patent to make the business more successful. But it happens very often that market research hasn't been done carefully.
Even in case larger scale producers do more research and testing there is no sure success. A promising new product may be also robbed of success by unreasonable prices, inadequate promotion and poor selling methods. Generally less than one fifth of all new products turn out to be profitable.
product development- развитие производства
adaptation- что-либо переделанное, приспособленное
modification- модификация, видоизменение
innovation- нововведение, новшество
large scale producer- крупный производитель
promising product- перспективный продукт
unreasonable price- неразумная цена
inadequate- не соответствующий требованиям
1. How can you explain the еerm adaptation?
2. What is an innovation?
3. Give your own examples of innovations and adaptations.
4. Why are many innovations and adaptations manufactured and marketed by small businesses?
5. Why is it so important to obtain a patent?
6. Why does the failure of a new product take place?
Exercise 1. Choose the necessary word and put it in the sentence..
1.Though market research tries to predict I 1 adaptation the trends, there is no sure... I
2. This product isn't original, it is an... I 2 innovation
3. ... office receives applications from I many young inventors. I 3 inadequate
4. If the price is..., the product won't be I sold out.. I 4 patent
5. A clock-television is an adaptation but I the television itself is an... I 5 failure
6. If a sure... is stopped, money and time I can be saved. I 6 success
7. They failed because of... promotion I campaign. I 7 unreasonable
(Dick and Jack are having lunch. Dick is Vice President in charge of Product Development. And Jack is Vice President in charge of the Legal Department).
Dick How are the things?
Jack Great. We are busy with a new line of clock-television.
Dick Sounds interesting. Are you going to apply for a patent soon?
Jack Yes, we are. We are preparing the necessary papers now.
Dick And what did the Market Research say by the way?
Jack They think there is fair market for the product at the moment but it will take a few years to catch on.
Dick I see. We'll have to turn a good promotional campaign.
Jack Without doubt
Dick Well, it will be our advantage to have the patent on it as well. You have decided on the size, haven't you?
Jack We'll start with a small screen model. It will have a wake-up button and go-to-sleep button with timers Market Research says that the automatic go-to-sleep button may be the bigger selling point.
Dick Yes. The idea of a set that turns itself off is great. To tell you the truth I'm always falling asleep in the middle of the show. Now it can be done.
Jack Well. In future we'll probably expand the line to include different size screens and colour.
Dick That's good.
Jack I think we are close to a big success.
Dick That is why we must be very careful. Before we begin to market television we must fulfil the most complete testing.
Jack You are right
Dick What about the pricing? Has it been worked out?
Jack Not completely. Market Research Department says we can't have too high price on this kind of item.
Dick It's evident we must be very careful. Maybe this time consumers will really surprise us.
Jack Let’s hope for the best.
to apply for a patent- подать заявление на патент
fair market- (зд.) благоприятные рыночные условия
to cath on- стать модным
to be a big selling point- быть притягательным для покупателей
to fulfil the testing- завершить исследование
to market- продавать
Exercise 1. Change the sentences according to the model.
M o d e l: We must fulfil complete testing.
Complete testing must be fulfilled.
1. They must expand the line.
2. You could apply for a patent.
3. They should_wprkout the details.
4.1 must develop a new trend.
5. We should design a line of clock-television.
6. You should start market research.
Exercise 2. Anseer the questions.
1. Why is it so important for a producer to apply for a patent?
2. How much time does it usually take for a new product to catch on?
3. What is a big selling point of the items which you produce?
4. In what way can a consumer surprise the producer?
5. Would you like to produce something original or an adaptation? Explain why.
6. What are the conditions of successful product development?
7. What products are the market conditions fair for in this country?
Exercise3. Translate into English.
1. Этот продукт - модификация старого
2. Мелкие производители выпускают большое количество товаров.
3. Вам необходимо получить патент на производство данного товара.
4. Тщательное исследование рынка необходимо, чтобы гарантировать успех.
5. Потребуется пять лет на то, чтобы ваш продукт завоевал признание.
6. Отключающее устройство с таймером - именно то, что привлечет потребителя.
7. Надо завершить все исследования, прежде чем мы начнем продавать наш продукт.
8. Нам необходимо расширить линию.
Exercise 4. Speak about product development of your business. Ask yourcollogue how he would plan product development.
Exercise 1.Make the sentences negative.
Model: I will have the drawings prepared very soon.
I won't have the drawings prepared very soon.
1. It will take much time to catch on.
2. I am sure this thing will be the biggest selling point.
3. They will run a good advertising company.
4. They will make a new modification of electronic watch.
5. This price will be inadequate