Exercise 2. Change the sentences according to the model
Model: We won't introduce a new line of merchandise unless you suggest it.
We will introduce a new line of merchandise if you don’t suggest it.
1. Tape recorders are popular unless the price is too high.
2. The consumers will continue to buy unless they don't like the item.
3. The buyer can get installation services unless he wants to pay for it.
4. The salesman will help you unless he is too busy.
5. People won't try a new product unless there is advertising.
6. Customers won't buy the new brand, unless the price is low.
7. They won't raise the price unless it is necessary.
Exercise 3. Answer the questions.
1. In what way were the prices charged in this country?
2. What is your idea of the term market price?
3. What type of pricing policy works with the majority of consumer goods? (price-emphasis, price de-emphasis).
4. What is more preferable for you in pricing: low prices with no extra services or high prices with home delivery, repair and other services?
5. Why is it soimportant to have loss leader item in a shop?
6. What is off-even pricing made for?
7. How can your pricing policy help to compete with well known products?
Exercise 4. Translate into English.
1. Этот магазин предоставляет покупателю выгодные кредитные условия.
2. Товар имеет низкую цену. Она покроет затраты.
3. Эта фирма ведет неразумную ценообразовательную политику.
4. Прежде чем выпускать товар, необходимо тщательно изучить спрос и предложение.
5. Государство устанавливает цены на ряд продуктов.
6. Магазин имеет превосходное место расположения.
7. Супермаркет предоставляет покупателю много дополнительных услуг: доставку товаров на дом, кредит, установку и т.д.
8. Новая марка несомненно привлечет покупателей.
9. Начинайте с низкой цены.
10. Продажа за счет низкой цены действует при продаже товаров народного потребления.
Exercise 5. Set your imagination free.
You are a journalist and you are to interview the minister of finance about the pricing policy in this country. What questions would you ask him?
Exercise 1. Make sentences interrogative and negative.
Model: They can change your credit terms at once.
Can they change your credit terms at once?
They can't change your credit terms.
1. They must research supply and demand before they start to produce the new item.
2. The company has to cover the costs by all means.
3. The middlemen may set the new price.
4. They can persue unsound price policies.
5. They must choose another location for their shop.
Exercise 2. Choose the necessary modal verb and put it in the sentence.
1. Off-even pricing ... undoubtedly produce favorable psychological effect on a consumer.
2. I spoke with the chief. Now you... change the credit terms.
3. They are very talented specialists. I think they ... design the new line very quickly.
4. The situation has changed, so we ... start with specially prices.
5. We... choose price emphasis policy for this item.
The computer industry is one of the largest in western countries and especially in the USA.. It includes companies that manufacture, sell and lease computers, as well as companies that supply products and services for people working with computers.
A computer cannot think. A human operatorputs data into the computer and gives instructions. The operator writes instructions which determine the mathematical operations on information.. A computer solves mathematical problems very rapidly. Traditionally, the computer inbusiness is used to process data. This involves different administrative functions such as preparation of payrolls, inventory control in manufacturing, warehousing and distribution operations, customer accounting, billing by banks, insurance companies, public utilities and mass circulation magazines. Now the computer takes on new kinds of jobs. It has become more involved in business operations as an essential tool in making decisions at the highest administrative level.
to give instructions- давать инструкции
to put data- закладывать данные
to solve mathematical решать математические
to process data- обрабатывать данные
preparation of payrolls- подготовка ведомостей
inventory control- инвентаризационный контроль
warehousing- складирование товаров
distribution operations- распределительные операции
customer accounting- расчет с клиентом
1. What does the computer industry include?
2. In what way does a computer operate?
3. How was the computer traditionally used in business?
4. What new kinds of jobs is the computer taking?
Exercise I. Choose the necessary word and put it in the sentence.
1. Distribution operations, preparation I 1 process data
of payroll are ... functions that the I
computer performs for business. I
2. Computer is programmed to...fast I 2 lease
and accurately. I
3. If a small company cannot afford to I 3 inventory
buy a computer, they can ... the I control
services of computer. I
4. A programmer feeds the ... into the I 4 processing
5. Many companies use the computers I 5 administrative
for their ... I
6. A computer solves problems by ... I 6 data and
information. I instructions
(Simona and Berg work in a large supermarket. Berg is the
Manager and Simona is the Head Buyer.)
Berg I'm so glad you had this business trip. I also would have liked to so but it's a problem for me to get away. Tell me everything about your business trip.
Simona It was really great, Berg. It was worth looking over the operations of the store. It's very well organized and I believe we should consider adopting some of the methods.
Berg Is it really so?
Simona Absolutely. Berg, their computer system is remarkable.
Berg Can you tell me more about it?
Simona Oh, sure. First, they've replaced their cash registers with special terminals.
Berg What for?
Simona They record on tape the department number, classification of items, amount of sale and name of salesclerk for each sale.
Berg Do you think we really need all that information on tape?
Simona We put on the same information on our sales checks.
Berg Yes, but in cases of exchanges we need to know all that.
Simona And for other things too.
Simona For inventory control, for example. During the night, the tapes containing the information are fed into the computer.
Berg And then what?
Simona Every morning the computer prepares reports on the sales of the day before, classified by department and buyer.
Berg So, it is possible to have almost instant records.
Simona You are right. The inventory is kept up to date automatically. Imagine, how efficient we could be.
Berg It is great. But I think with the help of a computer we could offer more personal services to our customers.
Simona What do you mean?
Berg Having such up-to-date records and complete inventory we could keep records of birthdays and anniversaries and have gift suggestions based on customer records, and a million of other things.
Simona Don't hurry. Let's get going on first things first.
Head Buyer- начальник отдела снабжения магазина
to adopt methods- внедрять методы
terminal- терминал, вывод, конец, граница
to feed the information закладывать информацию в
in the computer- компьютер
to date- вычислять подсчитывать