Well I finish work (1) ... 6.30 a.m. Then I go home, have a bath and try to be in bed (2) ... half past eight. (3) ... the same time as I'm getting ready for bed, Jeffrey, my husband, and our five-year-old daughter, Elaine, are getting up. Jeffrey takes her to nursery school. I usually sleep (4) ... about 3 o'clock (5) ... the afternoon. I have to be at the school (6) ... 3.30, to collect Elaine. We come home and I play with her, and try to get some housework done (7) .... the same time. When my husband comes home, we eat. If I'm lucky, I can relax (8) ... an hour before putting Elaine to bed.
Then I do some housework that didn't get done (9) ... the day. I allow plenty of time to get to the hospital' because if fm not there (10) ... time, another nurse will have to go on working (11) ... I arrive. I'm often very tired (12) ... the time I finish, but I don4 really mind. There's a special atmosphere in the hospital (13) ... night. And the hours suit us, (14) ... the moment, anyway.
I may want to work days when Elaine goes to a different school. Perhaps I'll be ready for a change (15) ... then.
6. Look at Paul's list of things to do. Describe his working day making use о the following time-table:
|Things to do|
|7.00||wake up & get up|
|7.00-7.30||wash & get dressed|
|7.30-8.00||have breakfast, wash the dishes|
|8.05||leave home for the University|
|8.20||come to the University|
|11.20-11.50||have lunch at the University canteen|
|14.40-15.30||go home from the University|
|16.00-16.40||have dinner & wash up|
|16.40-18.00||have a rest|
|20.30-23.00||go for a walk|
|23.00-24.00||watch TV or look through the journals or newspapers|
|24.00||wash & go to bed|
7. Give the four forms of the following verbs:
sit, be, get, buy, go, leave, stop, know, eat, come, do, have, play, read, drink, begin, make, take, write.
8. Use the verbs in the Past Indefinite Tense:
1. She works at an office. 2. She usually walks to the University. 3.1 like my work. 4. My brother finishes school this year. 5. We want to buy a new house, 6. Every morning I look into the mirror, wash, shave and comb my hair. 7. Every day at 9 o'clock I open the door of my shop. 8. She shows her family album to her new friends.
B. 1. He gets up at six every morning, goes out, runs around the house three times for exercise, comes back, makes himself breakfast and has it. 2. His wife gets up at 8 o'clock, does her hair, has a cup of coffee, and takes the dog for a walk in the park.
9. Make these statements negative. Use the model:
Model: I workedon Saturday. -- I didn't workon Saturday.
1. I got up very early. 2. I made breakfast. 3. I left the house at seven. 4. I came on time. 5. I saw her in the office. 6. Jane married Sam. 7. I passed my exam in English. 8. She showed me her new flat. 9. I did morning exercises today. 10. I liked my new boss.
10. Make up questions and give short answers. Use the model:
Model: He camehome at 6. -- Didhe comehome at 6?
-- Yes, he did.
-- No, he didn't.
1. I visited my friends in Scotland. 2. I leaned French at school. 3. He got a new job. 4. We moved to a new flat last month. 5. She needed money. 6. We liked his new car. 7. Their working day began at 9. 8. They sang their favourite songs. 9. The conference finished at 5. 10. He went to his club at night.
11. Complete the questions:
1. ... did the alarm clock ring? 2. ... did you go after classes yesterday? 3. ... did he do when he came home from work? 4. ... did it take you to get here? 5. ... did we go to the cinema last? 6. ... did you spend your weekend? 7. ... did you have your lunch today? 8. ... didn't she come on time? 9. .:. met you at the station? 10. ... woke you up in the morning?
12. Use the verbs in the Past Indefinite Tense:
I (to get up) very late yesterday. I (to look) out of the window and (to see) that the weather (to be) bad. So I (to think) for some time and (to decide) that I (to have) time to myself. Suddenly the telephone (to ring). I (to come) up to the telephone and (to take) the receiver. My Friend Nick (to call). He (to say) that it (to be) his day off and (to invite) me to his place. I (to spend) the whole day, there. First we (to talk) about our problems; then we (to watch) TV, there (to be) an interesting American film which we (to like), then we (to have) tea in the kitchen and (to talk) again. We (to listen) to some music and when I (to look) at the watch I (to see) that it (to be) 8 in the evening. I (to think) I must be off and (to say) goodbye to Nick. When I (to come) home my parents (to ask) me "You (to have) a good time?" "Yes," I (to answer), "I certainly (to do)." But I (to be) sorry, I (not to write) a single page on that day.
13. Translate into English:
1. Когда вы обычно встаёте по утрам? - Ровно в 7. 2. По воскресеньям я часто хожу в кино или в театр. 3. Вечером я читаю книги, смотрю фильмы или слушаю музыку. 4. Мы ужинаем, как правило, в 7 часов. 5. Когда я прихожу
домой, я иду в ванную, открываю кран, мою руки и вытираю их полотенцем. 6. Вам надо проветрить спальню и подмести пол. 7. Как вы добираетесь в университет? - Автобусом. Но иногда приходится идти пешком. 8. Давай пойдем в парк! -- С удовольствием. 9. Сколько времени у тебя уходит на то, чтобы добраться на работу? -- Около получаса. 10. Что ты собираешься делать? - Я собираюсь писать доклад. 11. Я обычно хожу в университет пешком, так как он находится недалеко от нашего дома. 12. Вы часто бываете в театре? -Нет, редко. 13. Что вы делаете по вечерам? - Обычно бываем дома. Раз или два в неделю мы ходим на каток, встречаемся с друзьями и ходим в кино или в театр. 14. Ежедневно Том делает утреннюю зарядку. 15. После занятий Мария обычно делает домашнее задание. Иногда она ходит в библиотеку, где читает книги и просматривает газеты и журналы. 16. Вы ложитесь спать рано или поздно? - Мне приходится засиживаться поздно. 17. Вы всегда приходите вовремя на занятия? - Да. 18. Как вы проводите свободное время? -- С друзьями, иногда с родными.
14. Read the story and answer the questions: