Text 1. Welcome to Britain
Text 1. My Hobby
Tastes differ. Different people like different things, different people have different hobbies.
I go in for sports, I like to play tennis. I go to play tennis every day. Sport is very important part of our life. Many people go in for sports, they jogging, walking, swimming, skating, skiing, train themselves in clubs and different sections.
Physical training is an important subject at school. Pupils play volleyball, football, basketball. I have been playing tennis for 5 years. Tennis became very popular now. I take part in different competitions.
To be in a good shape I'm jogging every morning and do my morning exercises. Everyone should do all he can to stay healthy and choose the sport he is interested in. I do not understand people who say that they like sport, but they only watch sport on TV.
If one goes in for sports he feels much better, looks much better, sleeps much better. Your physical appearance will change too. You will be slimmer and trimmer. And what is even more important you will not get sick often.
Why do I go in for sports? Because I think that it is very important for a man to be strong and well-built. Sport is not for weak, because, you have to learn how to lose, and it's not easy. My favourite proverb says: "A sound mind in sound body".
1. What is your hobby?
to jog — бегать
Text 1. Cinema
Cinema plays an important role in the life of any society. It is an available popular form of art. Lots of people find going to the cinema one of the best ways of spending their leisure time. The movie audience is predominantly a young one. Due to numerous video facilities, cinema attendances have declined sharply. But there is no denying the fact that the cinema-going habit is still a strong one.
No matter how large the place you live in is (whether it's a big city or a small provincial town, or even a settlement) there's most likely to be a cinema there.
There are such genres of feature films as the western, the
thriller, the musical, the drama and the comedy. The performance lasts from two or three hours and most cinemas have at least 4 performances a day. There is no doubt that a good cinema show is an excellent entertainment and quite cheap. Of late cinema screens in this country have been dominated by films produced in the USA. And this tendency is growing.
As for me, I'm fond of going to the cinema. It's a pity, I don't always have time for it. It's an open secret that we live in a very difficult time now. But people do need something amusing and pleasant, something to laugh at. That's why I give my preference to comedies.
The last comedy, I saw, is "Crocodile Dandy". The film tells about amusing adventures of a young lovely woman — reporter and a strong and brave crocodile hunter. At first, their relations were not friendly. She even looked down on him and he in return neglected her. But after he rescued her out of some difficult situations, their relations became more friendly. A happy end is an essential feature of American films. The same is true of this comedy. The main characters fall in love with each other in the end of the film.
1. How do lots of people find going to the cinema?
2. Who makes up the movie audience?
3. Why have cinema attendances declined sharply?
4. Is the cinema-going habit still a strong one?
5. What genres of feature films are there?
6. How many performances have many cinemas a day?
7. What films have cinema screens in this country been dominated by?
8. Are you fond of going to the cinema?
9. In what time do we live now?
10. What do you give your preference to?
11. What does the film you saw last tell?
12. What is an essential feature of American films?
to spend one's leisure time — проводить свое свободное время
movie audience — киноаудитория, кинозрители
predominantly — по преимуществу, главным образом
video facilities — видео-салон
to emerge — появляться, возникать
cinema-going habit — привычка ходить в кино
a settlement — поселок
adventures — приключения
grown-ups — взрослые
not without pleasure — не без удовольствия
to include — включать
feature film — художественный фильм
genre — жанр
western — вестерн
thriller — триллер
performance — сеанс
entertainment — развлечение
cinema screens — киноэкран
to dominate — превалировать, занимать ведущее место
to be fond of — любить что-либо, нравиться кому-либо
it's a pity •— жаль, к сожалению
it's an open secret — ни для кого не секрет, что...
to give preference to smth. — отдавать предпочтение чему-либо
amusing adventures — забавные приключения
woman-reporter — женщина-репортер
hunter — охотник
to look down on smb. — смотреть свысока, презирать кого-либо
to rescue smb. out of smth. — спасти кого-либо
an essential feature — важная черта
to fall in love with each other — влюбиться
Text 1. Welcome to Britain
Here’s some information that will help you to enjoy your stay in Britain.
1. Britain’s weather is very changeable. It doesn’t snow very often, but it can be rain, sunn, cloudy, windy, warm, foggy, or cold at any time oof year. If it’s raining when you get up in the morning, it can be hoot and dry by the afternoon. Generally the west of Britain is wetter than the east, and the north is cooler than the south. But be prepared for any kind of weather.
2. The currency in Britain is the pound of sterling (£), which is divided into 100 pence (p). You can change money at airports, at banks and some travel agencies. Look for the name `bureau de change`. Credit cards are widely accepted in shops, restaurants, petrol stations, etc.
3. Shops are usually open from 9 a. m. to 5.30 or 6 p. m. from Monday to Saturday. On Sundays some shops are open from 10 a. m. to 4 p. m., but a lot of shops are closed. Most towns have at least one general shop that is open till late at night every day. Banks are open from 9.30 to 4.30 Monday to Friday, but most have cash machines for getting money outside these times. Museums, art galleries, and other attractions are usually open from about 10 a. m. to 5 p. m.
4. You can make national and international calls from most public telephones. You will need either coins or a phonecard. These cards are very useful for making long international calls. They can be bought at newsagents and some other shops which show the `phonecard` sign.
5. All cities have buses, trains, and taxis. In London there’s also the Underground. People queue for buses and they get annoyed if you try to push in at the front. Join the queue at the back. For longer journeys travelling by coach is a lot cheaper than going by train,but it’s slower. Don’t forget, vehicles travel on the left in Britain, so be very careful when you cross the road. Look both ways first.
6. Most people in Britain don’t smoke. Cigarettes are expensive and you can’t buy them until you are 16. You musn’t smoke in cinemas, on buses ooor on the London Underground, and most public places have `no smoking` areas. As a general rule, don’t smoke in queue, in shops or when you are with other people who don’t smoke, especiall in someone’s house.
7. People usually only shake hands when they are introduced for the first time. At other times they just say `hello`. Teenagers generally don’t shake hands. It’s something that adults do.
Text 1.Astana is my future
“When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened” John M. Ridardson
The modern international center of business and investment city of the future.Youth is trying to move there, from all corner of Kazakhstan. Our capital grows constantly and it’s development is the part of rich history of Kazkh nation. Rich architecture of the city has it’s own history. Akmola became the capital city of Republic Kazakhstan from 10th December in 1997 and later renamed to Astana. Our president Nursultan Abishovich Nazarbaev built this city on high level during 21 years of independence of Kazakhstan. There are beautiful unusual, charming buildings which is the evidence of young city for short period of time we became famous all over the world.
When you see to Astana, firstly, your eyes could look the Bayterek. Bayterek is a symbol of our capital city. It was built in 1997 and it’s height about 97 meters. But it isn’t all. So capital attract you with their buildings how: Palace of schoolchildren , Ak Orda, Palace of peace and consent and etc. My lovely place is mosque of Nur-Astana.
Astana is a key to continue of our history. My city inspires us for future. Astana is my home. I feel huge surge of pride for my city. And I will try to become an useful citizen to my Kazakhstan.
Text 1. My Week-day
My week-days didn't differ much one from another. I went to school six days a week. That's why, I had to wake up at 7 o'clock every morning. Sometimes I wanted to stay in bed for some more time but my mother always insisted on my getting up.
I put on my bathrobe and slippers and unwillingly went to the bathroom. A cold shower made me feel not so sleepy, then I dried myself on a towel and hurried to the bedroom. I switched on a TV-set, it was just the time for a cartoon.
You may ask me why I didn't do my morning exercises. From time to time, when I saw smiling slim girls on TV briskly doing their exercises to music, I swore I should get up earlier and do my morning exercises every day, but it didn't last long and soon 1 forgot about it. Then I did my bed, dressed myself and had my breakfast.
At a quarter to eight I rushed to school, it usually took me 10 minutes to get there. My classes began at 8 o'clock, and every day I had seven or eight lessons.
At 3 o'clock the classes were over, and I went home. After dinner, I did some work about the house (washed dishes, swept the floor, went shopping) and sat down to my lessons. I spent a great deal of time on them.
At 8 o'clock all my textbooks and notebooks were put into a bag, and I could watch TV or read a book, look through papers and magazines. Sometimes, when my friend called for me we went for a walk.
At eleven o'clock, tired after a long working day, I went to bed and in some minutes fell asleep.
1. When did you have to wake up when you went to school?
bathrobe — банный халат
Поиск по сайту
Поиск по сайту: