The Great Discovery
In ancient times people lived on whatever food they could find. As the early people 1______ in numbers, they had to wander and search for wild fruits and seeds of wild plants or hunt for small animals.
Then one of these early people 2______ a great discovery. A great genius discovered the meaning of seeds. He may have noticed that where some seeds had fallen on the ground, new plants grew. Perhaps he was 3______ enough to put some seeds in the ground to see what would happen. No one knows how it happened, but man 4______ that if he put a seed into the soil it could grow into a plant which might yield hundreds or even thousands of seeds!
He was free of the need to be in a constant 5______of his food!
Early man could now 6______ seeds in the spring and wait for them to grow.
In the fall he could gather a harvest of seeds. There would be enough to
7______ himself and his family all through the winter, with some left over for planting when spring came.
This discovery was the beginning of 8______ and the most important change that ever happened to people on earth.
1. А) decreased; Б) increased; В) developed; Г) improved
2. А) fulfilled выполнять осуществлять; Б) did; В) made; Г) conducted проводить
3. А) curious; Б) questioning; В) surprised; Г) puzzled
4. А) disclosed раскрывать, предавать гласности; Б) opened; В) discovered; Г) exposed разоблачать
5. А) investigation расследование; Б) exploration исследование; В) look; Г) search
6. А) put; Б) plant; В) deliver; Г) lay
7. А) feed; Б) food; В) provide; Г) nourish кормить
8. А) gardening; Б) cropping; В) cultivation; Г) farming 8. А) садоводство; Б) урожай; В) выращивание; Г) сельское хозяйство
3. Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 8. Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 8, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, Б, В, Г). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.
Light from the Past
When you stand and look at the stars, you are really looking at past history. The light from Alkaid, the end star in the handle of the Big Dipper, has taken about 210 years to 1______ your eyes. If Alkaid stopped
2______ today, people on earth would still see it 3______ about 210 years. Some of the stars you see here tonight may have stopped existing several thousand years ago. The light from some 4______ stars right now will not be seen on earth until thousands, or even millions, of years from now!
It’s 5______ breathtaking, and it 6______ to the great mystery about the nature of light. Think about water waves. They get smaller and smaller in amplitude as they travel. Their energy is lost in friction among the water molecules. Think of sound waves in air. They too get weaker and weaker because of friction among the air molecules.
But light waves stop only if they strike something, and their energy is transferred 7______ another form. 8______, they can go on and on, at the same terrific speed, with no loss of energy, forever!
1. A) approach; Б) reach; В) hit; Г) achieve
2. A) burning; Б) flashing; В) blushing; Г) shining
3. A) after; Б) through; В) for; Г) at
4. A) farewell; Б) faraway; В) far; Г) fair
5. A) quit; Б) quick; В) quiet; Г) quite
6. A) enlarges; Б) increases; В) adds; Г) multiplies
7. A) into; Б) onto; В) for; Г) at
8.A) although; Б) otherwise; В) whatever; Г) either
4 Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 8. Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 8, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, Б, В, Г). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.
The First Day at School
Do you remember your first day at school? It was probably1____ confusing. Now, to 2____ this confusion, many primary schools in England have a special teacher who welcomes new pupils. She is 3____ a reception class teacher. The children are 4____ with the idea of school and if they have been good, they can’t understand why they have to go to school. They imagine that school isoptional. When the child goes to school on his first day and watches his mother leaving he thinks that she is deserting him. The teacher must 5____ him that at the end of the day his mother will be back and take him home. The children are not the only people that are disturbed by going to school. The teacher sometimes has as much difficulty in 6____ with the mothers. They hang around and dislike leaving the child without their protection.
The best way to 7____ with the situation is to get the child used to the idea of school. Before the beginning of term, the mother should take her child to see the teacher and to look 8____ the school. The first day should be something to emphasize the regularityof school.
1. А) enough; Б) rarely; В) rather; Г) equally
2. A) escape; Б) defeat; В) beat; Г) avoid
3. A) named; Б) called; В) said; Г) told
4. A) afraid; Б) threatened; В) endangered; Г) risked
5. A) convince; Б) prove; В) explain; Г) announce
6. A) managing; Б) guiding; В)coping; Г) handling
7. A) face; Б) deal; В) touch; Г) consider
8. A) through; Б) about; В) after; Г) round
5 Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 8. Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 8, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, Б, В, Г). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.
Your Future World
What will you be doing in 2025? Will you be living in an undersea research station? Will you be the chief engineer 1______ a bridge across the Atlantic Ocean? Will you be leading an 2______ to the planet Mars? Will you be …?
You can daydream, of course, but nobody knows exactly what the world will be 3______. But scientists have made some guesses.
Based on the advances made, they believe people will be healthier. Diphtheria, malaria, tuberculosis, polio and many other killers are under control now. These diseases are on the way out, 4______ to микроб germ-killing chemicals, new ways of finding out about our bodies, and new ways of providing clean, safe 5______and water.
Healthier people live longer, so we can expect the world’s population to 6______ sharply. It may double in the next forty years! This brings up a serious problem: how will we find food, water, and minerals for such a huge population?
Scientists are at work on some 7______. From the ocean they hope to get new fertilizers to increase the yield of the soil; new chemicals to kill crop-destroying insects without 8______ other animals, new sources of water or supplies of food.
1. A) inventing; Б) designing; В) scheming; замышлять недоброе, строить тайные планы to make a secret plan in order to get an advantage, usually by deceiving peopleГ) doing
2. A) exploration; Б) expenditure /ɪkˈspendɪtʃər/ расход, тратthe total amount of money that a government or person spends а; В) expedition; Г) exhibit
3. A) like; Б) alike похожий; В) likely; возможный, вероятный Г) likable симпатичный A likeable person is pleasant and easy to like:
4. A) as a result; Б) because; В) on account; Г) thanks
5. A) eat; Б) feed; В) food; Г) cooking
6. A) decrease; Б) distract; В) dissolve; Г) increase
7. A) solutions; Б) alternatives; В) preferences; Г) questions
8. A) hurting; Б) harming; В) injuring; Г) wounding
6 Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 8. Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 8, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, Б, В, Г). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.
The first Europeans to visit what is now called Alaska were Russian sailors led by Captain Bering. The 1______ was funded by Russian czar Peter the Great. In 1728 Bering and his crew 2______ through the strait that is now named after him,between the easternmost part of Asia and the westernmost part of the Americas. Their journey 3______ that Asia was not connected to North America; however, due to the heavy fog, they never actually saw the nearby land of North America. In 1741 Bering headed further south, landing on tiny Kayak Island off the 4______ of what is now the southeastern part of the state.
In the 1780s and 1790s Russians began small colonies, first on Kodiak Island and later on the mainland. In 1799 the Russian-American Company was establishedto 5______ Russian interests. For the next 68 years the company provided the only form of government for the European colonists, 6______ never numbered more than a few hundred. The Russians ruled the 7______ until the late 1860s, when they sold it to the United States for $7.2 million dollars.
The 8______ of gold in 1896 in the Yukon Territory started a huge gold rush that brought thousands of settlers.
1. A) travel; Б) trip; В) journey; Г) expedition
2. A) paddled; Б) sailed; В) travelled; Г) rowed
3. A) proved; Б) convinced; В) persuaded; Г) appeared
4. A) bank; Б) beach; В) shore; Г) sea-side
5. A) look after; Б) look at; В) look for; Г) look away
6. A) which; Б) whose; В) what; Г) who
7. A) country; Б) area; В) ground; Г) earth
8. A) discovery; Б) detection; В) exploration; Г) innovation
7 Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 8. Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 8, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, Б, В, Г). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.
“Ordinary” was the worst word she could find for anything. She and I would argue fiercely because I wanted to be ordinary as desperately as my mother wanted to be 1______ .
“I can’t 2______ that hair-do”, she said when I went to the hairdresser with my friend and came back with a pageboy haircut straight out of Seventeen magazine, “It’s so terribly ordinary”. Not ugly, not unsuitable. But ordinary.
Her 3______ of ordinariness came out most strongly in her clothes.
“Couldn’t you please 4______ something else?” I asked her when she was dressing for Parents’ Day in tight-fitting pants and a bright pink sweater, with a Mexican cape.
“What’s wrong with my outfit?”
What wasn’t wrong with it!
“It’s just that I wish it would be something more plain,” I said sheepishly, “something that people won’t 5______ at.”
She looked at me angrily and drew herself 6______ to her full height of five feet ten inches.
“Are you 7______ of your own mother? Because if you are, Isadora, I feel 8______ for you. I really do.”
1. A) uncommon not existing in large numbers or in many places; Б) unusual; В) odd-strange,лишний; Г) peculiar -strange or unusual, especially in a way that is unpleasant or worrying
2. A) stand не вынесу; Б) approve; В) agree; Г) vote
3. A) worry; Б) trouble; В) panic;Г) fear
4. A) dress; Б) put; В) wear; Г) clothe-to dress somebody/yourself
5. A) watch; Б) stare; В) glance; Г) peep to look quickly and secretly at
6. A) up; составлять/набрасывать, представлять Б) on; опираться на собственный опыт В) over; Г) at
7. A) sorry; Б) shamed пристыдить; В) ashamed-прилагательное стыдиться; Г) angry
8. A) regretful; feeling or showing sadness or disappointment because of something that has happened or something that you have done or not doneБ) sorry; В) guilty; Г) unhappy
8 Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 7. Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 7, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, Б, В, Г). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.
Searching for a New Programme
A healthy lifestyle can vastly improve your well-being. This is a lifestyle designed for those who wish to feel more certain about their health and more in control of what the present and future will bring them in that important 1______ of existence. None of us wants to be sick. None of us enjoys the idea that we may become a medical statistic. This is a simple, easy-to-follow health-style that can enable you to get cards very much in your 2______. The doctors were fortunate enough to come into 3______ with a field of study that brought them to healing заживать, излечивать and well-being that they so desperately needed. They personally have 4______ thousands of people improve their health using only a small part of information. Many more people begin to improve their health now. Embracing the most current information from many health-related fields, the programme of healthy lifestyle gives you an understanding of the impact of exercise, breathing, sunshine, sleep and much more on your health. In order for this programme to work for you, you have to be willing to apply at least some part of it. Some change will be 5______. And as you make those first modest changes, you will get positive results that encourage you to do more. Changing is fun. And if you realize that your new healthy lifestyle 6______ the making of new habits, not the 7______ of old ones, you will feel very positive about what the future holds for you.
1. А) sector one of the parts that an area is divided into Б) regiona particular area in a country or the world В) area a part of a subject or activity) territory
2. А) benefit Б) advantage В) privilege ADVANTAGEилиOPPORTUNITY честь, удовольствие I had the privilege of meeting the Queen.Г) favour в чью-либо пользу
3. А) touch Б) contact В) view Г) connection
4. А) confessed признаваться и исповедоваться Б) witnessed быть свидетелем В) determined устанавливать определять Г) recognized осознавать и признавать
5. А) ordered Б) commanded В) forced Г) required
6. А) contains Б) consists В) involves Г) encloses огораживать и окружать
7. А) breaking Б) damaging В) ruining Г) destroying
9Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 7.Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 7, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, Б, В, Г). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.
To the North of London
The Aldenham Country Park is a large and pleasant area easily reached if you are travelling north out of London. It is worth visiting if you want a quick breath of fresh air and a reasonably attractive place for a brief picnic. The most important point of the park is Aldenham Reservoir. It was built in 1796 to 1______ the water level in the river 2______ by the newly constructed Grand Union Canal, and more recently has been used as a reserve public water supply. Not far from there lies the busy town of Watford which can be recommended for a brief visit. And in any 3______ much more interesting stretches of the canal are met further north. And if you make your way through the town you can visit the Watford Museum in the High Street which has materials on printing and paper-making on 4______. The picture gallery has changing exhibitions of works by artists who lived or painted in the area. Another attraction of the neighbourhood is a fascinating complex of Roman buildings, the 5______ of a great city, once the third largest centre of Roman Britain. The private houses were impressive, many of them furnished with mosaic floors. The beauty of the mosaics can hardly be described on paper, and it is best 6______ by standing and looking for a while. The other principal Roman site to be visited is a long stretch of the city wall which 7______ back to the 3rd century.
1. А) remain Б) support В) hold Г) maintain to make a situation or activity continue in the same way поддерживать, сохранять
2. А) confused Б) affected В) bothered Г) disturbed
3. А) condition Б) situation В) circumstance Г) case
4. А) presentation Б) display на показВ) demonstration Г) exhibition
5. А) remains руины, развалины Б) wastes мусор В) wreckage обломки (машины, самолета и т.д.) Г) reminderssomething that makes you remember something elseнапоминание
6. А) praised хвалить Б) approved утверждать В) appreciated ценитьГ) regardedto look carefully at someone or somethingразглядывать
7. А) dates Б) returns В) follows Г) comes
10 Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 7.Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 7, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, Б, В, Г). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.