II. Поставьте вопрос к подчеркнутому члену предложения.
The traveller thought of a plan how to get warm.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
Once John Smith and his wife Mary who (1 — live) in a small house in the mountains, (2 — find) a dog. Though the dog (3 — be) weak and hungry, he (4 — not eat) anything in the presence of his new masters. Several days later the dog (5 — disappear). John and Mary (6 — leave) alone. But one day when Smith (7 — travel) in a train, he (8 — see) his dog running along the road. He (9 — get) off the train at the next station, (10 — buy) a piece of meat, (11 — catch) the dog and (12— bring) him home again. There the dog (13 — tie) up for a week.
The dog (14— escape) several times and each touch him. They (19 - call) him Wolf.
One summer a stranger (20 — come) to the cottage. As soon as the dog (21 — see) him, he (22— rush) to the stranger and (23 — lick) his hands. Then the stranger (24 - say): "His name (25 - be) not Wolf. It (26 - be) Brown. He (27 - be) my dog." Mary (28 - ask) to leave the dog with them. But the stranger (29 — refuse) and (30 — say) that the dog (31 — must) decide it himself. "I (32 — say) goodbye and (33 — go) away. If he (34 — want) to stay, let him stay." For some time Wolf (35 — watch) the man go. Then he (36 — rush) after him and (37 - try) to stop him. Then the dog (38 - run) back to Smith and his wife (39 - try) to drag Smith after the stranger. He (40 – want) to be at the same time with the old and the new master. Finally the dog (41 — lie) down at the feet of Smith. Mary (42 — be) happy.
IV. Выберите правильный вариант.*
* Только один вариант является верным.
1.I... glasses since I was a child,
a) wear, b) wore, c) am wearing, d) have been wearing.
2. When the phone rang, I... dinner.
a) cook, b) was cooking, c) had been cooking, d) have been cooking.
3. He usually had dinner at 4 p.m., ... ?
a) had he, b) hadn't he, c) did he, d) didn't he.
4. He works ... and makes good progress.
a) hard, b) hardly, c) good, d) badly.
5. He reminds me ... someone I knew in the army.
a) of, b) to, c) from, d) about.
6. Mary is here. Where are ... ?
a) other, b) others, c) the others, d) another.
7. What ... bad weather we are having today!
a) the, b) a, c) an, d) — .
8. Did you read ... English books at school?
a) some, b) many, c) much, d) none.
9. I want to know what ...,
a) are you doing, b) were you doing, c) will you do, d) you are doing. *•
10. I've made ... mistakes now than I made last time.
a) few, b) a few, c) fewer, d) less.
11. Can ... of you help me?
a) some, b) any, c) somebody, d) anybody.
12. This translation is twice as ....
a) easy, b) easier, c) the easiest, d) much easier.
13. We ... two compositions this month.
a) write, b) wrote, c) were writing, d) have written.
14. I had a feeling that somebody ... there before.
a) is, b) was, c) has been, d) had been.
15. She won't see him ... he phones her.
a) except, b) after, c) unless, d) because.
16. ... only one theatre and two cinemas in this city ten years ago.
a) there is, b) there was, c) there are, d) there were.
17. My watch....
a) stops, b) has stopped, c) have stopped, d) stop.
18. Do you know when he ... ?
a) comes, b) will come, c) shall come, d) come.
19. I don't have any pets. Neither ....
a) she does, b) does she, c) is she, d) does she have.
20. His parents didn't let him ... TV late.
a) to watch, b) watch, c) watching, d) watched.
V. Переведите на английский язык.
1. Москва была основана Юрием Долгоруким.
2. Небо темное, может пойти дождь.
3. Мы не знали, что он собирается нас навестить.
4. Кто знает прогноз погоды на завтра?
5. Нам не пришлось долго ждать их.
VI. Выберите правильный ответ.
1. What's the name of the most famous clock in Britain?
a) Big Albert, b) Big Stephen, c) Big Wren, d) Big Ben.
2. What's tartan?
a) a dish, b) a pattern of the kilt, c) a bird, d) a dance.
3. Where is Glasgow situated?
a) in Scotland, b) in Wales, c) in England, d) in Northern Ireland.
4. What's the name of the London underground?
a) Metro, b) Tube, c) Subway, d) Underground,
5. What is the nickname of the Liberal Party?
a) the Tories, b) the Whips, c) the Libs, d) the Whigs.
I. Прочитайте текст и ответьте на вопросы.
A young writer has just managed to publish his first book. He is very proud of his success and is boasting of it to everybody around. For more than half an hour he has been talking about his success to one of his friends who is also a writer. At last he thinks that his friend is not very much interested and apologizes saying "I am sorry to have taken so much of your time, it is so selfish of me." — "Never mind," answered his friend absent-mindedly. "You haven't taken my time at all. I've been thinking over the plot of my new novel."
1. Was the young writer modest?
2. Why wasn't his friend annoyed?
II. Поставьте вопросы к подчеркнутому члену предложения.
The writer is proud of his success and is boasting of it to everybody around.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
In summer I (1 — go) to Brighton. When I (2 — arrive) there it (3 — be) late afternoon. After dinner I (4 — put) on my raincoat and (5 — go) out for a walk. It (6 — be) a nasty day, the sky (7 — cover) with clouds, and it (8 — rain) a little. As I (9 — move) slowly along the quiet empty street, I (10 — see) a stranger. He first (11 — pass) me by but then (12 — stop). "(13 — be) that you, Peter?" he (14 — cry) out. It (15 — be) Jones." I (16 — not see) you for ages," he (17 — say). — "Why, what you (18 — do) here?" I (19 — ask). "Why you (20 — not go) home?" — "I cannot," he (21 — answer). "I (22 — forget) the name of the hotel where my wife and I (23 — stay)." — "If you (24 — ring) up the hotels, you (25 — find) out where you (26 — stay)," I smiled. He said that he (27 — have) no money. And he (28 — explain) that they (29 — get) to Brighton at II o'clock. They (30 — leave) their things at the station and (31 — go) to a hotel. He (32 — change) his clothes and (33 — decide) to go for a walk. The sun (34 — shine) brightly and there (35 — be) nothing in the forecast about rain. I suggested that we (36 — go) to my hotel. While Jones (37 - take) a shower I (38- think) the situation over. Then we (39 — begin) telephoning all the hotels in Brighton. We (40 — do) it so well that next afternoon Jones (41 — find) both his hotel and his wife.
IV. Выберите правильный вариант.
1.1 ... since breakfast and I'm very tired.
a) travel, b) am travelling, c) was travelling. d) have been travelling.
2. He came to the party ... he hadn't been invited.
a) although, b) in case, c) even, d) in spite.
3. We have ... for a new secretary but we haven't had any replies yet.
a) announced, b) advertised, c) advised, d) noticed.
4. Ted is good at football but Rick is ... .
a) good, b) well, e) better, d) best.
5. ... "Romeo and Juliet?"—Not yet.
a) Did you see, b) Do you see, c) Have you seen, d) Had you seen.
6. He makes me ....
a) laugh, b) to laugh, c) laughing, d) have laughed.
7. He had an accident yesterday and was taken to ... hospital.
a) the, b) — , c) a, d) an.
8. It's crowded in here. There's ... to sit down.
a) hardly, b) hardly any, c) hardly anything, d) hardly anywhere.
9. Next June my cousin ... from high school.
a) graduate, b) graduated, c) will graduate, d) has graduated.
10. The Earth ... round the Sun.
a) goes, b) was going, c) will go, d) has gone.
11. Are you interested ... working for him?
a) at, b) in, c) with, d) of.
12. He is reported ... 400 dollars.
a) to steal, b) to have stolen, e) to be stealing, d) to have been stolen.
13. Put ... sugar into your tea.
a) some, b) any, e) none, d) not any.
14. I ... my book on the desk a few minutes ago.
a) lay, b) have lain, c) laid, d) have laid.
15. There's nothing left for him but escape, ... ?
a) is it, b) isn't, c) is there, d) isn't there.
16. The news ... so shocking.
a) are, b) was, c) have been, d) were.
17. ... the dinner by the time Peter came?
a) Have you cooked, b) Did you cook, c) Do you cook, d) Had you cooked.
18. She ... when I came.
a) works, b) work, c) was working, d) has worked.
19. You ... work hard at your French if you want to pass the exam.
a) can, b) may, c) must, d) might.
20. Do you like ... milk with your tea?
a) few, b) some, c) many, d) a few.