|№ 1||Judith||it takes her as a rule||It gives her no trouble at all|
|№ 2||Donald’s brother||entered||Do you happen to know I got in to the University!|
|№ 3||Stella||is going to pass||hasn’t given her a pass in no time|
1. A: How long does it take …(1) to get to the University?
B: (2) … 20 minutes, … (2)
A: Does she walk?
B: Yes, she does. …(3) because she is an early riser (жаворонок).
2. A: … (1) … (2) the University two days ago.
B: ... (3) his first words after the examinations?
A: He said: “I am lucky! …(3) “
3. A: Is …(1) a student now?
B: No, she isn’t. You know, the professor ...(3).
A: Poor soul (бедняжка).What are her plans now ?
B: She...(2) her exams...(3).
A: How clever of her! (Какая молодец!)
1. alarm clock – будильник
2. assignments, course papers,yearly essays -курсовые
3. associate or assistant professors – научные сотрудники, помощники профессоров, доценты
4. common room – общая комната в общежитии
7. (scientific) degree in–научная степень по
8. early-riser – тот, кто рано встаёт
9. finals – госэкзамены
10. a full-time or a part time student – студент дневного или вечернего отделения
11. graduation dissertations (papers)-дипломные работы
12. head of a department – зав. кафедрой
13. hostel – общежитие
14. junior students–первокурсники
15. library card –читательский билет
16. modern equipment – современное оборудование
17. monitor – староста группы
18. Muscovites – москвичи
19. an oral,a defense - защита
20. papers, reports –доклады
21. postgraduate course–аспирантура
22. rector- ректор,
23. senior lecturers – старшие преподаватели
24. senior students – старшекурсники
25. single room – комната на одного
26. student membership card– студенческий билет
27. student of English – студент ф-та иностран. яз.
28. sub dean - заведующий кафедрой
29. synopses, notes – конспекты
30. teacher’s certificate – диплом учителя
31. thesis,a dissertation-диссертация
32. tutor – преподаватель ВУЗа
33. undergraduate – выпускник
34. vacations – долгожданные каникулы
35. vice-rector-заместитель ректора
36. written reproductions (tasks)-письменные задания
1. to be expelled – быть отчисленным (исключенным)
2. to be fond of - увлекаться
3. to be on – идти (о фильме, или о пьесе)
4. to catch a bus –успеть на автобус
5. to clean one’s teeth – чистить зубы
6. to get up (early, late) – вставать
7. to go downstairs – спускаться вниз
8. to graduate with honours – закачивать вуз с красным дипломом
9. to have a bath – принимать ванну
10. to have a chat – поболтать
11. to have a high academic degree – иметь ученую степень
12. to have breakfast (dinner, supper) - завтракать (обедать, ужинать)
13. to imitate the sounds and intonation - воспроизводить звуки и интонацию
14. to last - длиться
15. to listen to tapes – слушать плёнки
16. to master - овладевать
17. to read up (prepare) for exams – готовиться к экзаменам
18. to stay in – оставаться
19. to take a shower –принимать душ
20. to take part in – принимать участие
21. to take place - происходить
22. to wash - умываться
as they say – как говорится
in faсt – на самом деле
plenty of time –достаточно (много)времени
rather a long way – довольно-таки далеко
the others – другие
though – хотя
Exercise I. Pronounce the words correctly. Pay attention to the way of pronunciation of stressed vowels and consonants.
[ei] – way, wake, say, tape, imitate, intonation, stay, they
[æ] – fact, catch, have, chat, back, café
[ɔ] – hostel, long, clock, on, common
[r] – rather, trouble, early-riser, rule, room
Exercise2. In the following lists of words, three words rhyme, but one is different. Underline the one that’s different. Read them all.
a) [u:] or [u]?
food foot book look
b) [i:] or [e]?
bread head instead dean
c) [ә:] or [ ):]?
work talk walk fork
d)[ /\ ] or [ou]?
son done won phone
e) [ei] or [i:]?
break weak take game
f) [iә ] or [Σә ]?
pear hear near dear
Exercise 3.Pronounce the words and word-combinations observing the sounds.
[iŋ] – reading, a reading-room, having breakfast
sitting, a sitting-room, having a chat
working in the reading-room, having a rest
drawing, speaking, studying having a bath
[ʤ ] – just, just now, project, a graduation project, jump, porridge
[w] – Everywhere we see the white snow.
William was not very willing to wait.
Didn’t this waiter work in Washington last winter?
No sweet without some sweat.
Where there is a will there is a way.
Exercise 1. Identify the part of speech, translate it into Russian:
speak –speaker usual – usually
begin – beginner talk – talkative
comfort – comfortable modern – modernize
different – difference imitate – imitation
Exercise 2.а). Make up the pairs of synonyms:
in no time, a lot of, without much difficulty, the girl next door
plenty of, neighbour, at once, easily
b) Make up the pairs of antonyms:
long, to give, early, to, to get up, usually, a lot of, go out
to go to bed, late, short, to take, from, little, seldom, stay in
Exercise 3.Give Russian equivalents for the following:
A student of English, can’t speak English well yet, just a beginner, it’s rather a long way from, in fact, it takes me about an hour, to get to the University, no trouble at all, as they say, to catch a bus, as to my dinner, to be ready to help each other, to go out, to stay in, as a rule
Exercise 4.Open the brackets, using the right Tense-form of the verbs:
1. She (to live) in the hostel next year.
2. It (to take) me a lot of time to do my homework.
3. Only five students of our group (to be) ready for the class yesterday.
4. My sister (to have) much work to do tomorrow.
5. They always (to come) to the University five minutes before the bell (to ring).
6. She never (to go) to the club without her friends.
Exercise 5.Form Participle I of the verbs given below and fill in the blanks:
to work, to look, to sit, to check, to do, to speak, to have
1. Nick is … at the table. 2. They are … at her. 3. The tutor is … the test-papers. 4. Why are they … their English class now? 5. They are not … their work at the moment. 6. Why are you … Russian? 7. The students aren’t … in the reading-room now.
Exercise 6.Answer the following questions, using the verbs given in brackets. Work in pairs.
1. What are you going to do on Monday? – On Monday ……….(to work in the reading-room).
2. What are you going to do on Tuesday? – On Tuesday ………. (to check my brother’s homework).
3. What are you going to do on Wednesday? – On Wednesday …… (to write a composition).
4. What are you going to do on Thursday? – On Thursday ……… (to go shopping).
5. What are you going to do on Friday? – On Friday …………. (to clean my flat).
6. What are you going to do on Saturday? – On Saturday ………. (to invite my friends).
7. What are you going to do on Sunday? – On Sunday ………… (to have a rest).
Exercise 7.Read the sentences pronouncing the time in the full.
1. I get up at 6.15. 2. I go to the university at 8.45. 3. At 12.30 we have a dinner break. 4. At 14.20 the classes are over. 5. At 10 sharp he goes to the library. 6. My mother usually comes home at 17.05. 7. What are you going to do at 9.50?
Exercise 1.Read and translate the text.
MY WORKING DAY
I am a student of English. I have been a student only for two months and a half. I can’t speak English well yet. I’m just a beginner, you know. I live in a hostel. It’s rather a long way from the University. In fact, it is in the country and it takes me about an hour and a half to get to the University. But it gives me no trouble at all, as I like to get up early. I don’t need an alarm-clock to wake me up. I am an early-riser, as they say.
Though our hostel is out of town it is very comfortable and has all modern conveniences.
As a rule I get up at 6.30, do morning exercises and have a shower. I don’t have a bath in the morning, I have a bath before I go to bed.
For breakfast I have a boiled egg and a cup of coffee. At about 7.30 I am quite ready to go. It is about a five minutes’ walk from the hostel to the bus stop. I usually take the 7.40 bus. I walk to the stop as I have plenty of time to catch my bus.
I come to the University five minutes before the bell rings. So I can have a chat with my friends. Only four students of our group are Muscovites, the others either come from different parts of our country or from other countries. We usually have a lot of things to talk about.
There is a very good laboratory at our University. It has modern equipment. We spend a lot of time in the laboratory listening to the tapes, imitating the sounds and intonation. It helps us to learn the language without much difficulty.
We don’t go out to lunch. There is a good canteen at our University. It is on the ground floor. We can go downstairs and have lunch in no time at all. As to my dinner I have it in a café on my way back to the hostel.
I come to the hostel from the University at about a quarter to five every evening. I live in a single room and have nobody to speak English to. I go to the girl next door and we do our lessons together. We are always ready to help each other.
In the evening we sometimes go out. We go to the pictures if there is something new on or to the club if there is a dancing party there.
But we often stay in, watch the TV program in the common room or listen to the radio. Then I read a book for half an hour or so and go to sleep. That doesn’t take me long, as a rule.
Exercise 2.Answer the questions
- Is the hostel not far from the University?
- Is it comfortable?
- Where is the canteen?
- Are the students always ready to help each other?
- Where do the students sometimes go in the evening?
- What do they do when they stay in?
Exercise 3.Speak on the following topics on the basis of the text
- The early morning;
- In the University;
- To go out or to stay in.
Exercise 1.Read and translate text 2.