The content of teaching phonetics
The aim is to develop in learnersphonetic competence -the knowledge of the English phonetic means such as speech sounds (phonemes – is the smallest unit of sounds that has meaning in a language – books, sock/ shock), articulation, syllable formation, word stress, tone-patterns and intonation. Phonetic competence includes the knowledge of how speech sounds (phonemes) are used in actual speech production. We can say about “modification of phonemes in connected speech”. (e.g. elisions(absence of sounds as in “Chris/t/mas”)). One of the reasons that the phonemes merge together in oral speech is that it saves articulation efforts in speakers.
Techniques for teaching phonetics
The traditional approach to teaching phonetics is the “pronunciation drill”
(drill in recognition and reproduction new material to get pronunciation habits)
The material used for pronunciation drills may be sounds, words, word combinations, phrases, sentences, rhymes, poems, songs and dialogues. Proverbs, tongue-twisters and some useful expressions can be used as material for pronunciation drills. The usage of audio-tracks is important. It can be done by the whole class, individually in the fixed order, slow tempo and fast tempo, repetition in small groups etc.
The content of vocabulary teaching.
Methods of teaching vocabulary.
Methods of teaching vocabulary: translation, synonyms, antonyms.
Methods of teaching vocabulary: the use of visibility, word formation.
Teaching with flashcards
Flash cards are images on cards, used to help to remember new vocabulary in a new language.
The benefits of flashcards:
- bring images of reality
- interesting and funny activity
- helps SS to remember new vocabulary in a new language instead of simply reading the definition in a dictionary, as the student can SEE what the word means.
- motivate and draw learners’ attention
- involve SS producing and revising vocabulary quickly
- useful for various types of activities (drilling, comparing, etc.)
- develop speaking, writing and other skills
- flexibility ( flashcards are easily kept)
-- come in a variety of formats and styles. When the collection of pictures is once made, it can serve for a long time.
- It is important to combine them with other techniques and different types of stimuli (movement, verbal stimuli, sound, etc). Moreover, pictures used for demonstration of the meaning should be repeatedly connected with the spoken and subsequently also written form of the word.
- The presentation of vocabulary with flashcards can be done in lots of various ways, for example in telling a story or just simply based on a set of vocabulary for a particular topic.
Methods of teaching vocabulary: a description of a word in English language, context.
The context makes the situation clear, and this in turn illuminates the meaning of the new word. This practice saves time and develops an intensive reading habit and better understanding.
1) Like - verb
2) Like – as
Поиск по сайту
Поиск по сайту: